Friday, September 10, 2010

Why me?

Yesterday was the day that I got my top two wisdom teeth removed. Some of you have already experienced this lovely ordeal, some of you aren't quite there, and still others maybe will never have to. So, I will start my experience at the beginning.

My appointment was at 10:45 a.m. Thursday, September 9th. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink that morning, but it wasn't so bad because I have a cold and really wasn't that hungry anyway. We got there on time and had a short wait. I really wasn't nervous at all, if anything a little excited. After sitting in the ominous green chair and talking to the nurse awhile the anesthesiologist came in. I'm weird with little pain. I can do big pain, like tearing the ligament in my ankle almost no problem, but needles.... not so much. I have to say that was the worst part, at least up till then. They injected the anesthesia into my arm and the nurse stuck a big plastic thing in my mouth. I remember thinking it was taking a long time to work, and then I started giggling. I don't know why, I just was finding it funny. Then my lips started to tingle and I think I giggled even more. I could just imagine the anesthesia seeping up my arm and into my head because suddenly the world started to collapse on me, and I think I remember saying "Ohhh".

When I "woke up" I was quite loopy. Mom said I was crying and when she asked me I didn't know why. My head felt so heavy like it was filled with sand, and I think I kept saying something about a waterfall. Mom also said that I kept doing the alphabet in sign language over and over again. I was seeing double, and my mouth felt like plastic, which I think I kept insisting upon. The nurse and my mom helped me out to the car. I still couldn't help sobbing and when mom would say that I was crying I would insist that I wasn't, and I even said I was so fine that I would drive us home if she wanted me to. It felt like it took forever to get home, and I was feeling very seasick. Mom had to help me to the couch when I almost fell over. I was just standing there I felt like my legs just turned to jello. I took a short nap, and when I got up besides felling tired I was OK. I really wanted to help mom make dinner so I started stirring the milk and butter to make a sauce to go over the mac and cheese. The Vestals came over to pick up Christian and I was talking to Hannah when I had a sudden notion that I really needed to puke. I ran to the bathroom, the gagging feeling was in my throat, when the world started to fuzz and then went black.

I woke up and it was the strangest feeling ever. I had no clue were I was, or even who I was. I just heard some people talking and saw what looked like carpet. I really was completely disoriented and drenched in sweat. I kind of sat up, or what I thought was up, I wasn't even in tune with my body it seemed. I remembered something about blue pelicans, and then it came back to me. I called for mom and when she came (I think I was crying again) I said that I thought I had passed out. She brought me over to her bad and I lied down. I felt nauseous for the rest of the day, and kept feeling the urge to upchuck. My mom called the doctor and the doctor said, "no more monkeys jumping on the bed". No, actually he just said that I was probably dehydrated and needed to lay down.
When I woke up today besides being incredibly puffy, and tired I'm doing much better. I went to town today and mom got me some stuff for me to eat. I was so pitiful looking though that people kept giving me these sad looks, and the lady at Costco called me sweetie. I still have a lot of homework to do so I should be off. The sad part about this whole ordeal is that I have to repeat it in a year or so.


Nicole said...

aww. I'm sorry! That sounds like the extreme opposite of fun! (Except I like tapioca pudding. Not sure if you do or not but that's always a plus for me) :)
Hope you recover quickly! And no more throwing up, that is the WORST.

Autumn said...

Oh! You poor dear! Hope you feel well soon.